operating engineers local 12 dentist list

art therapy activities for adults pdf

oscar peterson albums ranked

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants is Number 7. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates. Taylor and his cohorts take no prisoners with their sound collages, which, to the uninitiated, are unremittingly intense and challenging. This earns its place among the greatest jazz albums of all time by being one of the best albums on Blue Note. Back to back by Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges AGAIN! On the gently swinging Autumn Leaves and Love For Sale, Miles plays some bewitching muted trumpet lines, but he doesnt outshine Cannonball or the rest of the group. A first major milestone in this development was the epochal Bitches Brew, a sprawling double-album released in 1970. Fantastic: better than Coltrane I thought had lots of him, too! I was 12 years old when I bought this album its the one that started me into jazz ! All those qualities can be found on Moanin, his 1958 LP with The Jazz Messengers. A natural leader on the bandstand who combined both power and subtlety, he instinctively knew how to make a track swing but could also complement a soloist, employing his volcanic press rolls to create drama and offer inspiration. Beyond the Missouri Sky by Metheny and Charlie Haden is a glaring omission. On the Go Matthew Halsall. I also would find a place for The Guitar of John Gray The New Wave which is my all time favorite jazz album. List includes Oscar (Page 2) Whoever wrote this list is was trying to keep as many people happy. Can never have too many great jazz albums. In the meantime, these jazz albums are essential for anyone looking to start a collection, or to go beyond classics they already know. Joe Henderson Lush Life No Antia ODay? Key track: Four On Six, After rising to fame with Miles Davis at the end of the 60s (on the proto jazz-rock/fusion albums In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew), Doncaster-born guitar magus John McLaughlin formed The Mahavishnu Orchestra, a quintet that married the virtuosity of jazz improv with the high-decibel power of heavy rock to create a hybrid that was then infused with Eastern mysticism. He is the only european artist, who belongs to top 50 of Jazz! A fine list indeed, some contentious ommissions e.g Nina Simone which have been pointed out by a fair few people. Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator, Coto De Caza, California, south golf course, http://www.davehuntjazz.com/best-recordings/oscar-peterson.html, http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/97750/Oscar_Peterson-Exclusively_For_My_Friends-Vinyl_Box_Sets, 10 Jazz Albums You Need To Know for April, Waversa EXT-LAN Reference and Streamer - My Take, Digital Audio Forum: DAC, Transports, Digital Processing Forum, David Karmelis Bionor/Lamm/AS-2000 Audio System. I traveled to the Far East of MONTGOMERY, just to see WES Arguably the best of his LPs during his first tenure with the label when he played hard bop Idle Moments was recorded in 1963 and finds Green leading a sextet that includes tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, pianist Duke Pearson (who composed two of the songs on the album, including the sublime but subdued 14-minute title tune) and vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson. Arguably his greatest album, Karma was Sanders second long-player for Impulse! Betty Carter with Ray Charles, Return to Forever, Jaco, Guaraldi, Deodato, Joe Williams, Joni Mitchell Mingus, George Benson, Al Jarreau, Stephane Grapelli, Jean Luc Ponty, so many to list!! Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus He achieved it by having her explore the work of one of the Great American Songbooks preeminent composers over the course of a 29-track double LP. anyway, how can this list be without billie??? Three other standards made up the rest of the album, including a swinging uptempo take on George Gershwins Summertime and a poignant reading of Evry Time We Say Goodbye. The growth of Coltranes popularity in the early 60s was undoubtedly aided by Atlantic releasing a shorter version of My Favorite Things as a single to promote the album. Kind of Blue at #1 is correct, but the runner up spot should definetely go to Time Out. Lots of great stuff mentioned, both on and off the list. But what gets me about top jazz lists is that almost always the majority of the albums are more than 50 years old. The incomparable Blue Hour by Stanley Turrentine and the Three Sounds should definitely be on here. It all depends on how you define Greatest jazz album. Seriously? I guess Jazz Trombone never existed..typical. Key track: Song For My Father, St Louis guitarist Grant Green was prolific during two separate stints at Blue Note and, as his 29 albums for the company reveal, he recorded in a wide range of settings. It also won him two posthumous Grammy awards. Dubbed The High Priest Of Bop, his idiosyncratic music, with its advanced musical vocabulary of asymmetrical melodies and dissonant cluster chords, was deemed too outr for mainstream tastes. No Sarah Vaughn? so starting from this post on, lets see what your favorites are. Michel Petrucciani I will only add this, Ahmad Jamal at The Pershing Hotel, somewhere in the top 10 selections. 8. Thomaz Stanko Leosia Cassandranite and Love Dance are both really solid albums. Miles Davis, MILESTONES! Key track: St Thomas, Recorded in 1958, this is undoubtedly the greatest album made by alto saxophonist Julian Cannonball Adderley during his 20-year career. Ten years from now their work may be re-considered. Eyeing new sonic horizons and showing an interest in rock and funk aesthetics, he began using electronic instruments and creating expansive grooves driven by a backbeat. Oscar Peterson covered My Heart Stood Still, There's a Small Hotel, These Foolish Things, Reunion Blues and other songs. Oscar Peterson Also I would include somewhere Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds. Sonny Sharrocks Ask the Ages is a glaring omission. Le Grands Arrangements are truly Beautiful and Original, and the Album really should have been on the List! Important and essential pioneers among many others of early jazz. It is a preference list and indicates only one persons preferences. Grappelli. Listen to Lady Day ; The Best of Billie Holiday. This is a damn fine list. No Not sure which I would pick for the particular recording, but a couple of jazz musicians that are among my top 5 that I think need to be represented on that list are McCoy Tyner and Michael Brecker. After three years recording for the Prestige label, Nelson joined producer Creed Taylor at ABC-Paramounts newly founded jazz imprint, Impulse!, in 1961. Key track: Black Codes, A Pittsburgh pianist noted for his delicate touch, crystalline melodic lines and dramatic use of space, 27-year-old Jamal found himself with a million-selling album in 1958 when a selection of live tracks recorded in the lounge of Chicagos Pershing Hotel lit up the US LP charts. I think Brad Melhdau, Wynton Marsalis septet work, Jeff Lorber fusion and Quincy Jones could easily replace many on the list. How is the classic Basie band 49 and behind a bunch of lesser lps like one by the Latter Basie band ,whos the fool who put this thing together ??? Alan Silva Seasons;Treasure Box Consider the following: Monks Dream Sketches. The album begins with a supreme slice of self-penned driving hard bop called Cheese Cake, which would remain in Gordons repertoire until his death in 1990. How can anyone enjoy listening to musicians play when the musicians werent listening to the other players? This listing is 100% BETTER than the 50 Greatest Drummers The Louis Armstrong Hot 5 and Hot Sen discs are Number 1. ALL THIS DOES IS CONTINUALLY LEAVE OTHER TITLES OBSCURED THAT ARE AS EQUALLY GREAT AS MANY OF THESE. In the following decade, he helped to stimulate interest in Brazilian music with his 1962 album Jazz Samba. Billie and the other biggies mentioned above too. of Frank Sinatra: Five essential albums These lists are put together by Anglos, but Brazilian, Cubans, Puerto Ricans are often excluded. The Mahavishnu Orchestras Inner Mounting Flame could be safely removed from that list, even if I really like that album. The fact that it has stimulated so much discussion is fantastic. Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, Billie Holiday, all not as good as some of the music you post here. How about Phineous Newborn Jr. A World of Piano? Thats crap. Such a list would take years to compile, and would take the combined efforts of many jazz buffs, but could be extraordinary, and a great gift to prosperity. And of course newer stuff. Billie Holiday : Stange Fruit, Hey there, With such a variety of styles to choose from and no shortage of musicians who have contributed several groundbreaking works to the development of jazz it quickly becomes clear that a mere handful of artists, or subgenres, could easily dominate the list. Time stood still. I always view them more as a resource for new listening to treasures I may have missed. Kind of Blue is truly great, but A Love Supreme is celestial! Key track: The Sidewinder, Originally from Plainfield, New Jersey, and of Welsh and Russian ancestry, Bill Evans amalgamated bebop and impressionistic classical music to bring a new sensibility to jazz piano playing. And Iron Man should be on there as well. ? But Ole was more like what he actually played live in clubs. A sublime mellow version of Irving Berlins I Remember sets the tone for the album, which also includes four strong original numbers (Dig Dis is the best of them) that demonstrate Mobleys unsung abilities as a composer. Donald Byrd Slow Drag No Dizzy or Oscar Peterson? And as many others before said. Also, no Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, and only one listing for Bird (though it includes multiple recordings). Agree with previous post that the omission of Hartman/Coltrane is a major oversight. As mentioned, Joe Henderson is missing as a leader. Kenny Barron Please add from Lennie Tristano, Warne Marsh and Lee Knitz. 100% Agree with this !!! Every Soundgarden album ranked from worst On the top of the Hill is the Point of Departure for Andrew. I JUST LOOKED QUICKLY, WHERE IS GERRY MULLIGAN? Key track: My Foolish Heart, A trumpet prodigy from Philadelphia who joined Blue Note when he was still a teenager, Lee Morgan rose to fame as a member of Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers. They have been compared to the Buena Vista Social Club that rare and welcome push to re-evaluate a genre and (in this case) to revisit some favourite jazz standards as well as listen to fresh material from an unlikely and unexpected source. Synology 1515D+ - SGC SonicTransporter i9- UltarRendu- PBD Stream IF-Playback Designs MPS5 - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's, : Wilson Alexandria XLF // Velodyne DD18+, 4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz | HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen | Aqua Acoustic Quality LinQ streamer | Aqua Acoustic Quality Formula xHD Rev. Frsta utkom 1948-52 Copyright 1979 Sohlmans Frlag AB Stockholm(5bd) (about 5.000 pages). You have to have some Ray Brown on Bass guys. The album featured Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams from Miles Davis 60s quintet and though only Carter appeared on Marsalis fourth LP, 1985s double-Grammy winning Black Codes (From The Underground), the influence of that group is almost palpable on the musical language that defines the uptempo Delfeayos Dilemma and the elliptical lyrical ballad Aural Oasis, where 23-year-old Marsalis mutes his trumpet to give it a Miles-like timbre. Jaco Pastorius. Who can really argue with the WebWith Oscar Peterson 1974 The Good Life 1975 The Oscar Peterson Big 6 at Montreux 1979 Night Child 1982 Face to Face, Peterson/ Freddie Hubbard 1983 A Tribute to My Friends 1983 If You Could See Me Now 1986 Oscar Peterson Live! 48. Dave Holland Conference of the Birds I play that one a few times a week. I will be able to spend the rest of the year listening to some of your recommendations. Hills compositions by turns frenetic and tranquil arent easy to play but the group render them beautifully and effortlessly. Suggestion: Compile a list of the greatest jazz albums of all times by relatively unknown artists. yeah i was really let down that didnt make the list. An impossible task certainly, but with the exceptions of the fusion stuff it is pretty admirable. Rollins receives sterling support from pianist Tommy Flanagan, bassist Doug Watkins, and legendary bebop drummer Max Roach, and together the quartet created an alchemical synergy that results in pure magic. I feel that it gets overlooked, being sandwiched between Live at Birdland and A Love Supreme, the latter of which I also believes deserves to top this list over Kind of Blue. Where is: Its got that beautiful version of Three Views of Secret with Toots Thielemanss soulful harmonica lead. No Miles Silent Way, No Trane at the Vanguard, No Trane at Birdland, No Wes Bumpin, No Monk and Trane at the 5 Spot, and especially you cant put Pharoah Sanders Karma in the Top 50???. Key track: Lonely Woman, The man who invented the improvised saxophone solo on his 1939 recording of Body & Soul, Coleman Bean Hawkins was 53 when he joined forces with fellow Missourian 48-year-old Ben Webster for a much-anticipated tenor saxophone summit in 1957. Leading a nonet that included saxophonists Lee Konitz and Gerry Mulligan, as well as drummers Max Roach and Kenny Clarke, across 1949 and 1950 Miles recorded a series of singles for Capitol that redefined modern jazz. Yet Bitches Brew is the worst album that Miles ever put out. I have 33 of those fifty, and this list is very much like my personal list. Romantic Warrior Return to Forever Seeing that there are a good deal of Oscar fans here, name your one favorite album..yes only one. Denis is an update of gospel-tinged 60s soul jazz while The Stinger is a propulsive swinger that Art Blakey would have been proud of. My jazz collection of records went from ten to one hundred. Short much of famous jazz artistes in the list, Kind of blue is good but still faraway to the first ranking , Im glad you got Charlie Christian and Wes Montgomery, but how about the Greatest If I traveled far, I always find time to MINGUS with the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, I knew could find Charles somewhere around. Ladies, if GOODMAN is hard to find, you never meet BENNY. Incredible. Elevated Michael Blake. Are Roy Elridge an Dizzy G. forgotten? Very Tall Oscar Peterson with Milt Jackson Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans and Cannonball Adderley all have albums in this list. SHEPP at his best is an enormus power, everybody of you must listen to his records THE NEW WAVE OF JAZZ IS ON IMPULS, that was the slogan on these albums IMPULSE: LP-records of those days. I dont see how you can take something as broad and diverse as the entire body of jazz recordings and narrow it down to 50. You could argue that one of the greatest improvisors and most important figures in the history of jazz ever, Charlie Parker, only comes on #20, is a bit strange but again it depends on the definitions. Any such list that leaves out albums by Ella, Dizzy, Lady Day, Count Basie, Lester Young, Artie Shaw, Coleman Hawkins, Jimmy Smith, Art Tatum (among others), and includes the albums numbered 15, 16, 17, 21, 28, 34, & 36 (among others) is simply not properly constituted. I knew that a Waltz for Debby could be great if played by Bill Evans Trio The day Saint JOHN meets the MONK, at Carnegie Hall, all in attendance were truly sanctified. New Song Omer Avital. 1985 Breakin' Out with George Shearing, Marvin Smith (Concord Jazz, Id say there are some others, as well. BTW, there is a 12 year old up for Two Grammy Nominations, just maybe he heard Jazz like me. How can that possibly be??? 32. Oscar Peterson | 10 Legendary Jazz Piano Recordings - Jazzfuel Shorter fronts an ace quintet of his own here, comprised of Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Coltranes then-drummer, Elvin Jones, and together they conjure up a memorable session featuring six songs composed by the saxophonist. Your email address will not be published. But what about Roland Kirk with Blackness, and Errol Garner on harpsichord in Paris Impressions? In Mingus canon, this albums brilliance is only eclipsed only by the earlier Mingus Ah Um. The best album credited to Oscar Peterson taking into account any aliases or variations is Night Train by The Oscar Peterson Trio which is ranked number 3,043 in the overall greatest album chart with a total rank score of 503. Good listing, but yuo forgot Clark Terry, his albums are GREAT! The 1968 compilation, Piano Starts Here, offers a rewarding snapshot of Tatums jaw-dropping technique and sparked a revival of interest in Tatums music twelve years after his death. and Atlantic before landing at jazz producer Creed Taylors CTI label in 1970. His first album as a leader came shortly afterwards, in 1956, when Burrell joined Alfred Lions Blue Note label; the company where he cut his magnum opus, Midnight Blue, seven years later. Id have to include Sweet Rain and Crescent in my list of great albums theyre among my Desert Island Discs (8 tracks). The nine-song set begins with a sprightly rendition of George Shearings Lullaby Of Birdland and a fine, carefree swinger called Youre Not The Kind, but elsewhere Vaughan serves up some gorgeous ballads, including a wistful April In Paris (which finds Brown playing a plangent but lyrical horn solo using a mute) and a sensuous Embraceable You, where she caresses the lyrics with her gorgeous contralto tone. This, their debut album, was an incendiary confection of searing guitar and violin lines jousting over churning rhythm tracks played in unusual time signatures. It wasnt his inaugural recording venture, but it was unequivocally his first significant album. Concert By the Sea is great, but also One World Concert and At the Piano are superb. A classically trained pianist, Taylor recorded his first album, Jazz Advance, in 1956, and by the time that he recorded Unit Structures (the first of two albums for Blue Note) ten years later, he had developed his own personalized take on free jazz. Ratings Release Date Title 1. The Sidewinder is even better by LEE MORGAN Every Soundgarden album ranked from worst to best From Superunknown to Badmotorfinger, we chart the recorded legacy of Seattle sound behemoths Soundgarden. I myself could not be happy living without this chunk of music in the world. The album spawned an unlikely hit single in 5/4 time (the jaunty, Desmond-written Take Five) and went on to sell over a million copies. Night Bird Song Thomas Chapin. The infectious Strasbourg/St. They were my house Gods those days. Ray Brown discography You need more Art Blakey Free For All, Ugetsu are two that come to mind quickly. In music and meditation we talk about being in the moment and In a Silent Way is a completely transcendent masterpiece. [11] Bjrk chose the album as one of her favourites in a 1993 Q feature. A vivid snapshot of the Basie band in its youthful prime. Love Supreme I think possibly the greatest recording of the 20th Century in any genre ! Nice Guys (Art Ensemble of Chicago, 1979). No Sonny Clark???? 11.25 x 6.56. The MJQs European Concert is Number 8. my apologies. Go to Youtube and find Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Chick Coreathat will lead you to Getz and Gilberto. Gunter Hampel The 8th of July, 1969 But where is Sonny Clark with Cool Struttin on Blue Note or Tina Brooks True Blue? All great jazz musicians playing jazz in the UK. Name your favorite Oscar Peterson album. - Whats Best The Song for My Father title track dominates that album, but Cape Verdean is a 45 minute masterpiece. Hard to believe that nobody has complained about the omission of the great Benny Carter. 12. Stereophile.com Key track: Carlos, From Toledo, Ohio, the visually impaired Art Tatum set an impossibly high bar for jazz piano playing between 1933, when he made his first recordings, to his death in 1956. As it has short track You just have to realize that there are hundreds of great jazz artists through the ages. Dreams & Daggers is a masterwork that thrust McLorin Salvant into the pantheon of great jazz singers. By turns lyrical and febrile, the music just seemed to pour out of him in a cathartic torrent of emotions. Key track: Bright Size Life, Six-time Grammy winning American arranger Vince Mendoza is renowned for his collaborations with pop and rock acts (Bjrk, Joni Mitchell) but hes also worked his magic with jazz performers. We Get Requests is my fave. Personally I couldnt deduce what the criteria were for inclusion was it popularity, historical significance, musicianship, innovation? Either of Monks big band concert albums or Monk Alone in San Francisco is Number 5. Melancholy and bittersweet but flecked with fleeting nuggets of joy, Lady In Satin comes across as a wistful reminiscence of a life well-lived; a fitting epitaph for one of jazzs greatest storytellers. Night Train was my first Oscar Peterson album and i was hooked. Sarah In the Land of Hi-Fi. Key track: A Night In Tunisia, Bill Evans brought a fresh perspective to jazz piano playing by avoiding bebop clichs and drawing on the lush harmonization of French impressionist classical composers Debussy and Ravel. Just saying. It seems like , although great, many of Parkers and others are just hard to listen to due to the recording quality-its a shame. I know many jazz fans look at their music Like Thelonious Monk before him who exerted a strong influence on Hill the Chicago pianist/composer ploughed a lone furrow, expressing himself in a unique and idiosyncratic style defined by asymmetrical melodies and unorthodox meters. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Thanks again! Innovative and influential. Ella Fitzgerald: Seven Essential Albums | Jazzwise Cause of that, his artist name?? Double the list and not rank them for more harmony among Jazz lovers. What about Steamin, Workin, Cookin Relaxin with the Miles Davis Quintet? And of course Bechet. That Ms. Krall achieved those goals and much more only adds to this albums merits. Cant argue with number one. Instead of wasting time on this why doesnt someone write a thesis entitled What is Jazz. The best-selling jazz album of all time, Kind Of Blue created a new musical language that was hugely influential not only in the jazz world but for numerous rock and pop musicians as well, assuring the albums rightful place at the head of any list of the greatest jazz albums in history. IT TOOK US SEVERAL DAYS OF SEARCHING HOW ABOUT WEEKS, MONTHS, OR EVEN YEARS OF LISTENING? 39. 22. Nuits de la Foundation Maeght. Nothing at all by Kieth Jarrett Standards Trio?? Glad to see Erroll Garner and Stan Getz for sure. Key track: Spain, A collaboration between bebop architect Gillespie and two Charlie Parker acolytes, Sonny Side Up pits the veteran trumpeter against rising saxophonist stars Stitt (alto) and Rollins (tenor) in an informal jam session context. Key track: Maiden Voyage, Some deemed Duke Ellington to be well past his sell-by date when he appeared at the Newport Jazz Festival alongside many of the jazz worlds modernists in 1956. the five I have mentioned are sidemen on some of these other albums in my list and as such do what they need to do, but none of them perform that well as leaders . One of MY faves. 49. Dave Brubeck: Take Five Tattooed by Passion Matt Jorgensen. Duke Ellington Hot Summer Dance Great list! Many found its visceral rawness and intensity sometimes Aylers sax resembles a chainsaw cutting into a bees nest deeply disturbing. -Abbey Lincoln Straight Ahead (Max Roach, Coleman Hawkins, Eric Dolphy, Julian Priester, Mal Waldren) Madeline Ghost Rhythms. Though Coltrane recorded several landmark albums both before and after A Love Supreme, this game-changing 1965 LP sealed his immortality and sits rightfully among the best jazz albums of all time.

Jd Gym Contact Number, Birmingham Police Department Staff, Articles O

oscar peterson albums ranked