operating engineers local 12 dentist list

art therapy activities for adults pdf

genesis 6 commentary spurgeon

And again he sent forth the dove out of the ark; And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth. Abraham is called the friend of God. It was not merely that God was his Friend; that was blessedly true, and it was a great wonder of grace; but he was honoured to be called the friend of God-one with whom God could hold sweet converse, a man after his own heart, in whom he trusted to whom he revealed his secrets. Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.. Perhaps the world was in its prime, when the trees were in bloom, and the birds were singing in their branches, and the flowers were blooming on the earth, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.. c. Take for yourself of all food that is eaten, and you shall gather it to yourself: God also commanded Noah to take all the food he could. For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and yet there are five years, in the which there shall neither be eating nor harvest. The well was there already, but for all practical purposes it , Jacob's Model Prayer John Gen 22:17-18. Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch. Numbers Bibliographical Information Spurgeon, Charle Haddon. Chapter 1-5 From creation to the flood, Chapter 1 The work of the six days (general report), Chapter 2 Creation of man (special report), b. Chapter 25:12: These are the generations of Ishmael, 8. This was the first act of God in preparing this planet to be the abode of man, and the first act of grace in the soul is for the Spirit of God to move within it. Chapter 29:1-31:55 Jacob's stay with Laban, Chapter 32 Jacob's fight with God and new name (Israel), Chapter 35 Jacob goes to Bethel; birth of Benjamin and death of Rachel, Chapter 36:1-37:1 Esau and his descendants; final word, 4. And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. Gods gracious interposition had delivered him out of the hand of the angry Laban, Laban the churl, who cared for Jacob only for what he could get out of him. Gen 18:33. Not even one servant had he with him when he fled away across the river, he was alone and unattended, and now he was coming back at the head of a great family, with troops of servants, and an abundance of cattle, and sheep, and all things that men think worth having. O father of the faithful, though thou dost believe, and art counted as righteous through believing, dost thou still ask, Whereby shall I know? Ah, beloved! And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth. Some touch of human weakness must always accompany the divine strength that God may give to us. God makes much of salvation, oh, that we also did! Uncontrolled passions may make him very little who otherwise might have been great. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. 2 Chronicles Gen 7:15-16. Four hundred men with him! And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor. Now the lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy fathers house, unto a land that I will shew thee: It was Gods intention to keep his truth and his pure worship alive in the world by committing it to the charge of one man, and the nation that should spring from him. Besides, I hope we shall never imagine that the highest faith is inconsistent with the greatest prudence, and that we shall never forget that there is such a book in the Bible as the Book of Proverbs, which contains counsels of wisdom for daily life. And there will I nourish thee; for yet there are five years of famine; lest thou, and thy household, and all that thou hast, come to poverty. He is always going about with serpentine wriggling, Seeking to do more mischief. Gen 1:1. ii. ix. Lesson 14: Sin's Full Course (Genesis 6:1-8) | Bible.org Matthew i. And he divided the children unto Leah, and unto Rachel, and unto the two handmaids. THERE are critical times in most families: times when much decision of character will be needed on the part of the father to guide things aright. These two names do not however, as many critics think, point to different authors or reports, which would have been compiled by later "editors", but are a proof for the divine inspiration of Scripture. Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Beth-el, and dwell there. Genesis Unstable as water, thou shall not excel; because thou wentest up to thy fathers bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch. It shows us that . He is out of one trouble with Laban; now he is into another with Esau. c. And God said to Noah: God told all of this to Noah with the intention of saving Noah and his family. Jonah Sermon Bible Commentary. He was commanded to go and we read, So Abram departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him.. Paul writes to the Galatians, Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. Their opponents are the seed of the serpent, crafty, cunning, wise, full of deceit; and there is enmity between these two seeds. Of the clean creatures which might be offered in sacrifice to God you see that there was a larger proportion than there was of the unclean, that there might be sufficient for sacrifice without the destruction of any species. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full. He has a right to all his spoil; but he will not touch it, lest the glory of his God should thereby be stained. Little could they have dreamed in what a terrible sense the serpents words would come true. Haste ye, and go up to my father, and say unto him, Thus saith thy son Joseph, God hath made me lord of all Egypt: come down unto me, tarry not: See how love attracts; Joseph must have his brothers near him, now he wants to have his father also near. Gen 3:8. And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude. Many things may seem to be left to chance, but they are not, the hand of God still guides and controls. And it is a burnt offering, not only a sin-offering but an offering of a sweet savour unto himself. Gen 7:18-19. Ruth What care he takes about the whole affair! Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And to his father he sent after this manner; ten asses laden with the good things of Egypt, and ten she asses laden with corn and bread and meat for his father by the way. See how Joseph traces Gods hand in his whole career. Genesis 6 Bible Commentary - Matthew Henry (concise) - Christianity You can check these in your browser security settings. b. When he was first bidden to leave his country and his kindred, and his fathers house, he had to go to a land that God would shew him. This was true Oriental policy, and crafty Jacob always had more than enough of something and planning even when it was not done with wisdom; but, in this case, I think it was a wise arrangement, for which he is to be commended. Gen 49:25-28. It is a good thing to have the right names for things. And he said, Behold now, I am old, I know not the day of my death: Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat: that my soul may bless thee before I die. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. In those darker days we can hardly expect to find so much of the excellences of the spirit as we ought to find now-a-days in those who possess the spirit of God fully. This was just as our Divine Master acted when his disciples enquired of him concerning the times and seasons, he told them it was not for them to know what the Father had retained in his own power; but Christ added, what was much better for them, Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you. He will not tell us all we want to know, but he will give us all we need to have. And so commanded he the second, and the third, and all that followed the droves, saying, On this manner shall ye speak unto Esau, when ye find him. He was nearly five hundred years old when he began to preach about the flood, a good old age to take up such a subject. Study Guide for Genesis 6 by David Guzik - Blue Letter Bible Yet, sooner or later, there comes a crucial test in which our true character will be discovered. It was well for Jacob to be reminded of that fact, for he was about to pass into another trouble. Gen 45:8. It was true then, and it is true today: But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more (Romans 5:20). 15. And he (Jacob) said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.. And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. C.H. Gen 22:11. Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you.. 1 2 3 7 8 9 12 14 15 18 19 22 24 27 32 33 45 49 Continues after advertising Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers 2 Kings And get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. They are important for the divisions of this book. Exodus He did not give him what he asked for, but he gave him something better, and, in like manner, if the Lord does not open up a dark doctrine to you, but gives you a bright privilege, that will be better for you. What can Jacob do now that the main bone of his leg is put out of joint? And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; He had been accustomed to eat of the fruit of the many trees of paradise now he must come down, and eat the herb of the field. He is lowered from royal dainties to commoner fare. And his head is bruised, blessed be the name of the Womans promised seed! And Noah went forth, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons wives with him: Every beast, every creeping thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creepeth upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark. This is unfortunate, since his works contain priceless gems of information that are found nowhere except in the ancient writings of the Jews. We will read two or three passages in the Book of Genesis concerning God blessing his servant Abraham. How often we throw the blame of our sin on the devil, who certainly has enough to bear without the added guilt of our iniquity! James Why did not Noah come out? He began with a question. And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh: According to the Eastern manner of swearing. Levi gained a blessing at the hands of Moses, one of the richest blessings of any of the tribes. Thus, you see, Abraham began his separated life with a blessing from the Lord his God. And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; Noahs faith was pleasing to God. Gen 22:3. We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left. Genesis xxiv. True emblems of the Church of God with her smoke and her light, her trying affliction, yet the grace by which she still keeps burning and shining in the world. And Rebekah heard when Isaac spake to Esau his son. One who exercised both the kingship and the priesthood, the only person that we know of who did this, and who, therefore, is a wonderful type of that marvelous King-Priest of whom we read in the 110th Psalm, and in the Epistle to the Hebrews. And he said, These are to find grace in the sight of my lord. And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there. And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. And the answer would be, It was by his weakness that he won his princedom, he became Israel, a prince of God, when his thigh was put out of joint. How pleased would you and I be to go halting all our days with such weakness as Jacob had, if we might also have the blessing that he thus won! Unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Oh, that it might be so today! God moves his servants to pray in a certain case, and they do pray with great liberty and manifest power. Gen 49:14-15. While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. God knows when to send angels to his servants; and when they come, it is often as the forerunners of a trial which is to follow them. Gen 32:29. Noah could read something from that leaf that the dove brought to him, but he learned more when she did not return to him. Gen 1:2. Gen 32:32. 1 Chronicles Did Noah live a perfect life? Go up to my father, and say unto him, Come down unto me. See how great love turns pleader again; he who said to his brethren, Come near to me, sends to his father the message, Come down unto me.. Gen 32:7-8. Yet, if you do feel that it is right to make such plans as Jacob made, take care that you do what Jacob also did. I believe that, often, the worst thing that can happen to Christian men is really the best thing, for, while nature would cry out, The clouds are to be dreaded, grace can reply, The clouds ye so much dread Are big with mercy, and shall break In blessings on your head. It seems he was in the ark a full calendar year. Colossians You can also change some of your preferences. God did not cleave the earth and cause new waters to gush forth, nor was there need. Joseph, having made himself known to his brethren, bids them return to their father, and bring him down to Egypt to see his long-lost son. God will also use Noah to save a remnant of each animal so the earth could be populated with people and animals after the flood. However, we must admire Jacob in this one respect, that, with all his thought, and care, and planning, and plotting, he did not neglect prayer. He took not on him the nature of angels; but he took our nature, and died in our stead. This has been the blessing of many a child of God, to fight, and apparently to lose the battle, yet to win it at the end. Judah is a lions whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? Genesis 6, Henry's Complete Commentary on the Bible, One of over 125 Bible commentaries freely available, this commentary, filling six volumes, provides an exhaustive look at every verse in the Bible. Gen 22:6-8. The old man is in his dotage, said they; he always was peculiar, he never acted like the rest of the citizens; he came in here as a stranger, and he has always been strange in his behavior.. And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. Now let us read a few verses from Jeremiahs prophecy. And they went both of them together. Genesis 1 Commentary - Spurgeon's Verse Expositions of the Bible This is characteristic of Jacob. While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. ii. Jacob was about to enter upon a great trial, and therefore he received a great comfort in preparation for it. How many quarrels might soon be ended if there were this spirit of conciliation among all professing Christians. Noah did according unto all that the Lord commanded him, and so proved that he was righteous before God. Genesis 46 Commentary - John Gill's Exposition of the Bible It seems always more becoming to the worldling than the Christian. You may except that some great blessing is coming nigh to you when a horror of great darkness falls upon you. And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; It was to be a long while before the nation should enter upon its inheritance. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. That was a grand argument for him to use: Thou saidst, I will surely do thee good. This is one of the mightiest pleas that we can urge in praying to God: Do as thou hast said. And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. He is the true center, and we gather unto him. Gen 24:6. we are always making difficulties and suggesting hardships; but if our faith were in lively exercise, we should do Gods will far more readily. There can be no destruction of the world, there can be no pouring out of the last plagues, there can be no total sweeping away of the ungodly till, first of all, the servants of God are sealed in their foreheads, and taken to a place of security. Gen 3:9-11. And there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered. Gen 3:13. Abraham is the first, if not the greatest, of the heroes of the Hebrew people. And Jacob said unto his father, I am Esau thy firstborn; Which, whatever may be said about it, was a plain lie, and is not to be excused upon any theory whatever. even he tried plotting and scheming more than once, but failed every time he did so. And ye shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that ye have seen; and ye shall haste and bring down my father hither. Pray as well as plan, and if your plans be numerous, let your prayers be all the more fervent, lest the natural tendency of your constitution should degenerate into reliance upon the arm of flesh, and dependence upon your own wisdom, instead of absolute reliance upon God. Joshua I suppose our Lord Jesus Christ did here, as on many other occasions preparatory to his full incarnation, assume a human form, and came thus to wrestle with the patriarch. In order that there might be time for his brother to look at the present in detail, and see it piece by piece, and so be the more struck with the size of it. As the Holy Ghost repeats the words we have here, you and I may often tell out the story of our salvation, and dwell upon the minute particulars of it, for every item of it is full of instruction. Choose Book of Bible to Study We use cookies to let us know when you visit our websites, how you interact with us, to enrich your user experience, and to customize your relationship with our website. He went no farther than to plead that Sodom might be spared if ten righteous persons could be found in it. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward. Now we are going to read in the Gospel according to John, the fifth chapter, beginning at the twenty-fourth verse. Gen 24:2. The marginal reading is Two hosts, or, camps. The angels of the Lord were encamping round about the man who feared him, though shore had been much in his character and conduct which the Lord could not approve. Whilst they have some of the greatest divines in modern history, they have here one of the best of men one of the patriarchs whose eyes were dim so that he could not see. Nearly two months Noah waited for the complete drying of the earth. Terms of Use But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt. And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered. And he stayed yet other seven days; I wonder whether Noah sent out these creatures on the Sabbath mornings. If the Lord is my Friend, and if I am indeed his friend, I shall wish him to be respected by my children, and I shall endeavor to dedicate my children to his service. And Noah begot three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. And his brethren could not answer him; for they were troubled at his presence. It is a very sweet thing to die with a blessing on your lips, and it is equally good to live in the same spirit. Titus There were to be five more dreary years of utter desolation and want. Common sense would have said, Spare them, for you will want every one of them. But grace said, Slay them, for they belong to God. And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat. He was not to simply contract it out to someone else. Abraham bases his argument upon the justice of God; and when a man dares to do that, it is mighty pleading, for, depend upon it, God will never do an unjust thing. C.H. However, since the fall in Genesis 3, every human being has a death sentence. According to all that God commanded him, so he did: The Bible presents Noah as a great hero of God. So he sent his brethren away, and they departed: and he said unto them, See that ye fall not out by the way. In the infinite sovereignty of his grace, he chose Abraham,passing by all the rest of mankind,and elected him to be the depository of the heavenly light, that through him it might be preserved in the world until the days when it should be more widely scattered. Gen 32:26. God remembered Noah, and he remembers you. Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel. Gen 27:5-11. Oh, that question! THIS was not the penalty which might have been pronounced upon Adam. If it was said, concerning somebody in this place, That individual , Thorns and Thistles Gen 1:20-23. In 1936 a young British archaeologist named Hardwicke Knight hiked across Ararat and discovered interlocking hand-tooled timbers at a height of 14,000 feet (4,600 meters). Gen 45:4-5, And they came near. But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall go into the arkyou, your sons, your wife, and your sons wives with you. Hence we do not read of the tribe of Simeon in the blessing of Moses at the end of Deuteronomy; but the Levites had this curse turned into a blessing, for, though they were scattered, yet they were scattered as priests and instructors to the other tribes. And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. Issachar crouched down between the burdens instead of taking them up and bearing them; God grant that none of us may be of that lazy tribe! And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt-. Determine the structure of the passage He now resolved to have a night of prayer, that he might win deliverance: Jacob was left alone;, We know who that Divine Man was, the God who afterwards actually became man, of whom it might even then be said that His delights were with the sons of men.. In a.d. 180, Theophilus of Antioch wrote: the remains [of the ark] are to this day to be seen in the mountains.. Yet notice also how Jacob reminds God of his promise, Thou saidst, I will surely do thee good. That is the very pith and marrow of prayer when we can quote the Lords promise, and say to him, Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope. You have a strong plea to urge with God when you can say to him, Thou saidst, for he is a God who cannot lie. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen. This fear and distress were sad proofs of want of faith on Jacobs part; for where there is strong faith, there may be a measure of human fear, but it will not go to the length of being greatly afraid and distressed, as he was. 2978A Sermon Published On Thursday, March 8th, 1906,Delivered By C.H. And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood. Gen 3:1. That is, a supplanter, as poor Esau well knew. Gen 8:13. The LORD God of heaven, which took me from my fathers house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence. Gen 7:6. Observe the remarkable fact that, no sooner had God made the dry land appear, than it seemed as if he could not bear the sight of it in its nakedness. Spurgeon did not entirely agree with six days of creation and dives into subjects that are beyond the AiG focus (e.g., Calvinism vs. Arminianism, modes of baptism, and so on). There must be a lot of food for Noah and all the animals. In similar fashion, God makes a very careful enumeration of all those who believe in him, precious are they in his sight, and they shall be preserved when all others are destroyed. He had already attained a fine old age, but he had another century of life before him, which he could not then foresee, or expect. That raven that you did not lock up well at home, has come here after you. The Lord knoweth them that are his, and they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up or, shut up my jewels, as he was about to do in the case. To be great, you must be little. Observe that God did not create man until he had provided for him neither will he ever put one work of his providence or of his grace out of its proper place, but that which goes before shall be preparatory to that which follows after. After all, with all alleviations, it is a very great trial to be deprived of ones eyesight, but those who are in good company. And Leah also with her children came near, and bowed themselves: and after came Joseph near and Rachel, and they bowed themselves. He speaks, and it is done. His was deliberate obedience; he could bear suspense, thinking over the whole matter for three days, and setting his face like a flint to obey his Lords command. Chapter 26:34-37 Jacob-Israel, or the education of the Spirit, Chapter 27 Jacob deceitfully gets the blessing, b. God thought upon his Son, and that great Sacrifice to be offered long afterwards on the cross, and he smelled a sweet savour..

Nhvr Safety Camera Locations, Happy Birthday To My Aunt In Heaven Images, Who Is Running Against Andy Biggs, Northeastern University Baseball Schedule 2022, Secret Gemini Woman Signs Of Attraction, Articles G

genesis 6 commentary spurgeon